A fully equipped signal source which sets a new sound benchmark?
Here you are: the Musicbook SOURCE II is a versatile signal source that meets even the highest demands on sound quality. Be it music from streaming services or from a music server, from CDs or LPs, everything’s possible and easy to operate via the app. Friends of high-class headphones will also get their money’s worth: the integrated headphone amplifier defines new standards in this class. The icing on the cake is the excellent phono MM input for turntables!
Connect your Musicbook SOURCE to a suitable power amplifier such as the Musicbook POWER or directly to active loudspeakers, and from now on you’ll be enjoying music in the most beautiful way: rich in detail and yet relaxed, with a wide stage or a small ensemble, dynamically vigorous or soft and emotional.
The new LINDEMANN streaming platform offers music playback from the internet in high-res quality with 24-bit resolution. And all that wireless via WLAN. Owing to WPS the connection to the router is a piece of cake. The ARM-core high-performance processor and the web update feature make the platform absolutely future-proof.
- Technologically the Musicbook SOURCE II is far ahead of the competition: all digital input signals are converted into DSD, a highly appreciated data format among audiophiles all over the world. This completely new approach raises in particular "normal" CD grade recordings to an exceptionally high sound quality level.
- The headphone amplifier of the Musicbook SOURCE has a powerful output stage which can drive headphones from 16 to 200 ohms. The built-in amplifier is both metrologically and soundwise of the very finest quality.
- Optionally the Musicbook SOURCE II is also available with a built-in CD drive (at an extra charge). The quality of the integrated D/A converter turns the Musicbook SOURCE into an absolute top-level CD player. Discover how much sound is really hidden on your CDs!
- A special highlight is the multi-room feature which allows to run several streaming devices in different rooms simultaneously or individually. Convenient controlling is provided by the LINDEMANN app.
- The IR remote control, which is included in the delivery, allows not only to set the volume level, but also to navigate through playlists or on a CD.
- The LINDEMANN app is available for Android and iOS, both for smartphones and tablets in landscape mode. The album oriented programming excels by a fluent browsing and an easy, intuitive operation. The app allows to control all functions and settings of the Musicbook SOURCE II.
- Via USB the Musicbook SOURCE II supports the connection of external CD-ROM drives and thus transforms easily into a top-class CD player without high costs! Upon linking the drive is recognized automatically and the content of the CD is displayed on the LINDEMANN app. The CD can then be played using the app or the remote control.
- The Bluetooth function of the Musicbook SOURCE II enables direct wireless music playback from smartphones or tablets (without a network). Here the A2DP Bluetooth audio transfer protocol guarantees ultimate sound quality.
- As to the circuitry, the phono MM preamp of the Musicbook SOURCE II is identical to our Limetree PHONO and offers an exceptionally good record sound with a high fun factor.
- Two digital SPDIF inputs allow to connect digital sources like e.g. CD drives or TV devices.
- Two analog line inputs allow to connect analog sources like phono amplifier, CD player, tuner or tape recorder.
All functions of the Musicbook SOURCE II can be controlled conveniently via the newly developed LINDEMANN app which is available for Android and iOS, for tablets also in the particularly lucid landscape mode. The app offers an easy to understand and intuitive control over the various sources. A comprehensive menu for the device settings makes the operation of the Musicbook as easy as 1-2-3. The integrated multi-room function allows to run several streaming devices in different rooms simultaneously or individually. The supply of streaming services is broadly diversified, with a clear focus on streaming in high-res quality. You can choose between Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, Qobuz, Deezer and HighResAudio. In addition to internet radio there are also podcasts from lots of different providers.
All relevant functions can also be controlled with the included remote.
The circuitry of the Musicbook SOURCE II has been designed around the high-performance streaming platform and fine-tuned for optimum sound quality.
In the digital-analog converter of the Musicbook SOURCE we use one of the best-sounding converter elements of all times, the AK4493 from the Japanese digital specialist AKM. This converter excels metrologically by extremely low distortion figures and musically by natural timbres, a perfect timing and a totally relaxed pace. The converter blocks are run in mono mode, i.e. each channel has its own D/A converter. But there is more! Prior to the actual conversion, all digital input signals are submitted to an ultra-precise re-sampling by means of an MEMS femto-clock. The thus generated data are absolutely jitter-free: the basic prerequisite for perfect sound with digital music! An additional improvement offers the possibility to convert all data into a 1-bit signal (DSD).
From a musical point of view, this mode of operation is the icing on the cake and opens up a totally new sound dimension in terms of room imaging and high-frequency reproduction.
The analog preamp of the SOURCE II uses a purely analog volume level control. Analog sources are processed on the analog domain. The built-in phono MM preamp offers an exceptionally musical reproduction and is identical in construction to the highly appreciated Limetree Phono. The headphone amplifier of the Musicbook also brings you sound at its finest and has plenty of output power even for demanding headphones.
The power supply of the Musicbook sets new benchmarks for an interference- and noise-free performance. All functional areas are equipped with proprietary, ultra low-noise voltage regulators with less than 10 µV of noise voltage. Therefore a mutual influence between the Musicbook’s individual elements can be ruled out.
SUBLIME SOUND QUALITY.
Primarily decisive for the sound of a digital component is the digital/analog converter. For this reason LINDEMANN is breaking all new ground with the Musicbook SOURCE.
In the DSD mode all digital input signals – irrespective of the source – are converted into a high-resolution 1-bit signal (DSD 256) by means of a re-sampling process based on delta-sigma conversion. The resolution is 256 times higher than with the CD. By a simple filtering in the converter blocks, this signal is converted directly into an analog signal – without any interference from digital filters or a digital volume control. We completely do without digital signal processors (DSP) and their negative impact on the sound. Filtering and level control take place on a purely analog domain. The music signal obtained by this “deconstruction“ of the converter is totally transparent: highest resolution, brilliant timbres, unlimited dynamics and a new, absolutely "genuine" atmosphere that will remind you of analog reproduction!
Measurement conditions: 22 °C, 230 V mains voltage, Audio Precision AP2722
Mains connection: 90 – 240 V, 50 – 60 Hz
Power consumption: 0.2 W stand-by, 8 W operation, 18 W max.
Dimensions (W x H x D): 280 x 220 x 63 mm (11 x 8.7 x 2.5 in.)
Weight: 2.6 kg (5.73 lbs)
Resolution: 768 kHz/32 bit and DSD 512
Dynamic range: >125 dB
THD & Noise: <0.001 % (@ 0 dB FS)
Master-Clock: Ultra low jitter MEMS Femto Clock
Re-Sampling: with 180 dB dynamics and 32 bit resolution, bit-perfect or DSD
Re-sampling jitter damping: >60 dB
Converter architecture: two AK4493 DACs in dual differential mono mode, AK4137 re-sampler
Output voltage: 3 V @ 0 dBFS RCA, 6 V @ 0 dBFS XLR
Ethernet: 100 Mbit/s
WLAN: Dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, WPS support
Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP
USB: High-speed host interface for harddisks, USB sticks, DVD ROM drives, max. output current 1.5 A
Supported codecs: WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, MP3, AAC,
Ogg Vorbis, WMA, DSD
UPnP and DLNA support
PCM resolution: 44.1 kHz up to 384 kHz, 24bit (WLAN up to 192 kHz)
DSD resolution: DSD 64 up to DSD 256 (WLAN up to DSD 128)
Streaming services: TIDAL Connect, Qobuz, Deezer, HighResAudio, Spotify Connect
Internet radio and podcast
Inputs: two analog line inputs with 50 kOhms of input impedance.
Max. input voltage 3 V unbalanced. MM input for connecting a turntable. Connection values MM: 47 kOhms / 150 pF.
Outputs: one balanced and one unbalanced output. The outputs may be used independently. Output impedance: RCA: 100 ohms, XLR: 100 Ohms. Max. output voltage: 3 V unbalanced, 6 V balanced
Volume level control range: 0 to 80 dB in 1 dB steps
Balance control: + / - 6 dB in 1 dB steps
Frequency response: 2 – 200 kHz (-3 dB)
THD & Noise: < 0.001 % @ 3 V output
Headphone connector: 6.35 mm (1/4“) jack socket
Headphone gain: 0 dB / 12 dB switchable
Recommended headphone impedance: 16 - 200 ohms
Damping factor of headphone output: >100